You Should Know
- Over 90% of poison exposures happen at home.
- Common chlorine bleach is the #1 household chemical involved in poisonings.
- Organic pollutants, found in many common cleaners and even air fresheners, have levels 2 to 5 times higher inside your home than out.
- Common cleaners give off fumes that can potentially increase the risk of kids developing asthma, the most common chronic childhood disease.
- 1 in 13 school-aged children has asthma. Rates in children under 5 increased more than 160% from 1980 –1994.
- If your home is anything like the average U.S. home, you generate more than 20 pounds of household hazardous waste each year (the EPA designates toilet cleaners, tub and tile cleaners, oven cleaners, and bleach as hazardous waste).
Just thought you should know!